If you have just had any kind if nasal surgery, taking care of yourself at home is important to the healing process and it could actually speed up healing so you can feel better sooner. In fact, the first 2 days after your surgery are the most important and you should follow the instructions provided by the surgeon’s office.
Aside from the doctor’s instructions, there are some tips to keep in mind and that you should follow if you want to make your post-surgery experience a better one. Let’s take a look at some of them now and see how you can best look after yourself after your rhinoplasty surgery.
8 Ways to Look After Yourself After Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Drink a lot of fluids the first day after your rhinoplasty surgery. Drinking lots of fluids will keep your mouth from getting dry and since you are forced to breathe through your mouth during the healing process, you will always have a dry mouth.
- Do not drink alcohol or smoke for 10 days after your surgery.
- Apply ice to your face in intervals of 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off as needed. Only use ice or cold compresses, never heat.
- Avoid any heavy lifting which could put pressure on your nose. In fact, you should not bend your head below your heart.
- Do not blow your nose or insert anything into your nose. Although sneezing is natural, try to avoid it if possible or sneeze through your mouth.
- Use a cool air humidifier at night in your bedroom.
- Sleep sitting up or at least with an extra pillow under your head to encourage proper drainage.
- Do not take showers, take baths instead. Avoid using water that is too hot as it could make you dizzy. Do not wash your hair until at least 3 days after your surgery.
What if your nose starts to bleed?
If your nose starts to bleed at all during the first two days post-surgery, sit up straight and do not tilt your head backwards or lie down. Hold a towel gently under your nose to catch any blood and spit out any blood that begins to drain down your throat. Do not apply pressure to your nose unless your doctor recommends it.
When should you call your doctor?
You should call your doctor if your nose bleeds for more than 10 minutes or if you have a temperature of more than 37.5 degrees Celsius. Also, if you are sneezing a lot or you have a lot of drainage coming from your nose, you should call your doctor.
If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it on your favorite social media sites.