Two Weeks Prior To Your Surgery
- Discontinue all medications which may cause clotting:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen and naproxen)
- Discontinue all herbal supplements and herbal teas – such as:
- Ginseng, Echinacea and any other herbal supplements.
- High dose of Vitamin E.
- Omega 3 fish oil/Garlic/Ginger.
- Inform Mr East of any prescription medications you are taking (if any).
- Avoid all forms of nicotine/alcohol consumption/sun exposure.
The Night before Your Surgery
We recommend you use Octenisan wash for pre surgery cleansing – no make-up, wash your nose and face thoroughly – click here to purchase the advised product.
On The Morning Of Your Surgery
- Absolutely NO eating or drinking at least 8 hours prior to your surgery.
- Do not wear makeup/remove nail varnish.
Should you have any queries about your admission, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Post Surgery Advice
Experience some ooze in the first 1- 2 days and congestion
Feel tired to a variable degree after anaesthesia
Need to rest and not over exert yourself in the first few days
Sniff to clear nasal secretions immediately and blow your nose gently after 3 days.
See a difference in your nostril shape from day to day (swelling)
Have some throat discomfort, more than the nose
See swelling/bruising under your eyes (use a fridge temp. cool pad)
Feel the need to sneeze- let it happen with your mouth open.
Use the antiseptic spray to clean your upper lip and base of your nose gently with a bud.
Use the ointments and drops which were dispensed for you
Sleep slightly head up for 72 hours
Avoid putting tissues, buds and fingers into your nose to try and clear crusts- just apply the ointment regularly via the nozzle and to any stitches and in your nostrils as directed.
Rhinoplasty Aftercare Instructions
- Congestion/difficulty breathing/tingling, or a woody sensation and numbness around the tip of the nose.
- Dissolvable stiches that may be visible and will drop out of the nose.
- To feel irregularities or notice asymmetries. This happens during the healing process.
What is important to you now:
- You may blow your nose gently.
- Moisture inside of your nose is helpful. Steam in the shower or use inhalations of steam up to 2-3 times a day. We normally recommend a sesame seed oil spray e.g. Gelositin/Nozoil. These are soothing and minimise crusting.
- In the early weeks it is not unusual to detect an odour inside your nose, this is normally from the dissolvable stitches. Clean gently inside your nostrils with a moistened cotton bud.
- You will see some variable swelling in your nose usually related to your skin type. We will advise you if tapping or massage is required.
- Have any facials or beauty treatments for up to 6 weeks.
- Undertake strenuous ‘red faced’ exercise for 3-4 weeks to minimise swelling in the skin. Refrain from any contact sports for 6 weeks, as your nose will still be very vulnerable.
- Fly for 10-12 days following surgery.